Mijente is a digital and grassroots hub for Latinx and Chicanx movement building and organizing that seeks to increase the profile of policy issues that matter to our communities and increase the participation of Latinx and Chicanx people in the broader movements for racial, economic, climate and gender justice. Mijente is our 501(c)(4) and Mijente Support Committee our 501(c)(3).
- Introduction to Mijente
- What We Learned at Lánzate, a Gathering of Latinx Organizers and Activists
- How We Make Change is Changing Part I, Part II
- We Do it for Our Gente
To apply, submit your resume along with a cover letter OR video submission. Video submissions should be no longer than 3 mins and can be in English or Spanish.
If you have any questions about the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Reports: Executive Director
Status: Full-time, exempt
Deadline: Applications reviewed on a rolling basis, prompt submission strongly encouraged
Mijente is a digital and grassroots hub for Latinx and Chicanx movement building and organizing. Launched in 2015, Mijente seeks to strengthen and increase the participation of Latinx people in the broader movements for racial, economic, climate and gender justice.
Mijente has since become a widely sought after entry point and partner for Latinx people and communities across the United States, Puerto Rico, and internationally to study and train together, to organize around Sanctuary Cities and take on the tech community that gives the deportation machine its teeth, to register Latinx voters who have never been reached out to before, and to create the art, music, and space for healing that has transformed our network into a home.
Mijente seeks a dynamic, experienced Development and Donor Organizer who is passionate about resource mobilization to power grounded and effective movements for change. Mijente has grown dramatically on all fronts since our launch in 2015. As a result, over the last year we have grown our staff across the country, including growth of our admin and operations structures. Partnering with the Executive Director, Deputy Director, Finance Director and staff, the Development and Donor Organizer will help lead and implement a program that currently raises foundation and individual donor revenue. This is a coordinator level position in a fast paced and rapidly-growing organization with a healthy financial position, and a robust culture of philanthropy.
The Development and Donor Organizer will continue to build and sustain this growth, with an emphasis on building a robust individual donor and major donor program. Also critical to this is to strengthen relationships with current and potential institutional funders and help promote Mijente’s work within key circles. This is an exciting opportunity for a professional who wants to help build and sustain a successful fund development program, with an emphasis on institutional giving and an individual donor program. The ideal candidate enjoys combining high-level strategy with hands-on implementation, able to build functional systems and is an aggressive problem-solver.
The Development and Donor Organizer will be responsible for all elements of planning, leading, managing and ensuring implementation of Mijente’s fund development strategy which includes:
- Setting development strategy: Partner with the ED, Deputy Director, and Finance Director to create a strategic annual fund development plan to support annual revenue goals.
- Growing an innovative individual giving program: Setting strategy for, and coordinating individual giving including online, direct mail, social media, and events and, in collaboration with the Comms and Digital Team, and developing and implementing a planned giving program.
- Growing institutional support: Lead and partner with the ED and DD in the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of foundation and corporate contributions; staffing the ED and DD to support their engagement of various institutions on a national basis.
- Materials and communications with funders and donors: Writing fundraising letters, online fundraising campaigns, and collateral materials; oversee design production and distribution of all development materials; supervising all grant writing, research, and reporting to funders.
- Ensuring effective data tracking and systems: ensuring excellent donor and gift record-keeping, processing and acknowledgement; developing relationship and moves management systems to ensure highly personalized cultivation and stewardship of individual and institutional funders.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- At least two years of experience managing and growing a multi-faceted fund development program, and personally cultivating, and soliciting donors, and foundations for support.
- A record of significant measurable results in organizing and implementing the full range of fund development activities including: online fundraising campaigns, annual funds, corporate and foundation giving, and special events.
- Demonstrated experience in setting strategy and managing goals, developing and implementing plans, and recruiting and organizing volunteers.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with proven experience in crafting proposals, donor correspondence, social media, and marketing materials.
- Demonstrated commitment to a broad range of social, racial and economic justice issues and an understanding of the multiple transgender and gender non-conforming communities Mijente serves.
- Strong technology and analytic skills: proficiency in Word, Google office, Excel, EveryAction and other applications as needed and experience setting up and tracking data management systems.
Candidate shall be a leader who is:
- Passionate about Mijente’s mission with knowledge of Latinx communities and issues and an intersectional practice informed by economic, racial, social, and gender justice values.
- Resourceful and innovative (in other words, Street Smart): Someone who’s got a few ideas about places resources could come from and can come up with ways of how to get it; bringing an optimistic, can-do, hands-on approach to achieving the most possible with the resources available and responding flexibly as opportunities and events arise.
- A Self-Starter who can be a Team Player: able to work effectively both on solo projects and with broader teams of staff and members; provide clear direction and support to collaborators; and promote high performance and accountability.
- An Organizer: We believe organizing people and resources into our work is how we get the goods. In this case, “the goods” are money that we can use to carry out innovative, forward-thinking campaigns.
- Straightforward and self-possessed; one who shares information readily, listens as well as gives advice and respects the abilities of others; diplomatic. Willing to do what it takes: including local and national travel and long hours across multiple time zones, when needed.
- Willing to do what it takes: including local and national travel and long hours across multiple time zones, when needed.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with the candidate’s experience and skills. Benefits include Paid time off 2 weeks base and 12 days accrued, health and wellness stipend, co-working allowance, sick and family leave.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Please submit your application as promptly as possible via e-mail to email@example.com.
Mijente is proud to be an affirmative action employer. Latinx people, People of color, women, persons with disabilities, and persons who are LGBTQ+ are particularly urged to apply.
For more information please visit – www.mijente.net
Digital Organizer position
The digital organizer will support the digital & communications team. This position will develop a keen sense of Mijente’s values, politics and constituency to listen to, manage, and grow social media platforms, drive effective digital organizing efforts, and track the effectiveness of our messaging platforms. They will maintain messaging calendars and ensure all content is curated in accordance with Mijente style principles and published across all platforms. The position requires flexibility, strong organization skills, the ability to track, engage with, and create compelling grassroots digital content to drive Mijente’s base building and digital organizing efforts.
- Social Media
- Community listening and management
- Maintain messaging calendar
- Social content creation & curation (primary social writer, graphic designer)
- Social publisher
- Uphold social protocols/guidelines
- Digital Campaigner
- Draft written content for messaging channels, and copy edit all outgoing social media communications.
- Email and digital asset production
- Web site content and updates
- Assist with content creation (blogs/videos/toolkits)
- Digital and Communications Analyst
- Track and report on digital analytics and progress to digital goals to guide the team’s content strategy
- Support with communications tracking and monitoring (e.g. logging media lists and performance)
- Social Media
- Previous experience creating digital content and managing a robust social media calendar; campaign or electoral experience preferred
- Excellent writing and copy editing skills
- Willingness to take feedback and develop their own skills to achieve desired outcomes.
- Understanding of community organizing and proven ability to translate that to digital organizing.
- Keen awareness of the 24 hour news cycle and of the digital/comms relationship
- Fluency in Spanish and English
- Adaptive and can think and work quickly independently and as part of a team
- Comfortable with social media platforms, metrics and analytics like Facebook Insights, Twitter Insights, Google Analytics and know how to use them to recommend messaging strategy and tactics
- Record of successful engagement with a growing base and within a fast-paced work environment
Send the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with
“Digital Organizer” and your name in the subject line:
- Cover letter
- 2 Links to social media channels or digital platforms that you’ve created for or managed and specify your role in each
- 3 Writing Samples for digital content
Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis and applications are due no later than September 30th, 2019.
Starting salary is negotiable commensurate with experience, beginning at $55k/annually; benefits include vacation, personal time off and health and wellness package. This position is remote and requires moderate travel.
Mijente is an affirmative action employer. Mijente believes that all people are entitled to equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate in any matters on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, gender identity and presentation, religion or spirituality, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental ability, sexual orientation, physical characteristics, marital status, pregnancy or parental status.