Take Back Tech
On July 26-28, 2019, Mijente, Media Justice, and Tech Workers Coalition invited people from around the country to join us in San Jose, California for a people’s summit to #TakeBackTech, and free our futures from surveillance and state violence.
The tech industry has been stealthily making billions hand-over-fist in the criminal justice and immigration systems, on the backs of the most vulnerable communities. It will take broad movement organizing to expose and derail the tech industry’s efforts that are increasing surveillance and facilitating war, incarceration and criminalization, with no regard for civil or human rights.
Organizers from communities directly impacted by criminalization and surveillance, together with policy, advocacy, legal organizations, as well as tech industry workers who have been leading organizing efforts within the largest tech companies, are coming together to:
- Share information and build collective analysis about the role of tech in reshaping our economy and democracy, with a particular focus on the criminal justice system and immigration enforcement;
- Learn strategies from active campaigns and initiatives that are targeting tech tools and corporations;
- Identify potential convergence points for organizing and movement building that can lead to renewed policy and regulatory efforts to protect local communities and targeting of a broader set of companies.
Opening Danza by Calpulli Tonalequeh
- Opening by Silicon Valley De-Bug
- #TechTalk Presentation by Jacinta González, Mijente
- Plenary Discussion with Steven Renderos, Media Justice; Marisa Franco, Mijente; and Brooke Larson, Tech Workers Coalition
“The Future of Criminalization” – a conversation with Malkia Cyril
Fireside Chat with Meredith Whitaker of the AI Now Institute