1. Who can become a member? Why should I join?
If you 1. Identify as Latinx/Chicanx in the US 2. Share our pro Black, pro queer, pro migrant, pro worker values (see our Principles of Unity) and 3. Sign up at members.mijente.net you are a Mijente member.
Mijente members benefits include:
• Connect to a growing national network of badass Latinx/Chicanx change-makers who share our pro-pueblo values.
• Resources including our toolkits, member welcome packs, and our members-only section of the website: La Casita.
• Exclusive access to political education training programs like Luminarios, and gatherings like La Sazonblea de Mijente, our biannual national membership convening.
2. I don’t live in the US. Can I join?
Formal Mijente membership is for Latinx/Chicanx peoples based in the U.S. and Puerto Rico. If you joined while you living in the US or Puerto Rico but have since moved to a different country, you’re welcome to maintain your digital membership by participating in our online education programs, quarterly member calls and other spaces that allow for digital engagement.
3. What are membership dues for?
Monthly and annual membership dues help us build towards a sustainable organization that can self-determine its vision, campaigns, and strategy.
4. Do I have to do anything once I become a member?
Nope! You don’t have to do more than what you’re already doing. Mijente is a political home to help you strengthen your plate, not necessarily add to it. If you do want to get more involved.
5. I think I’m a member but I’m not sure. How can I check?
You should have received a confirmation email immediately after signing up. Search for it in your inboxes, including spam to be safe. If you’re still unsure, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and/or email address and our Bienvenida crew will follow up.
6. How do I find other members in my area or with similar interests? What’s the best way to communicate with other members?
We’re creating tech tools for members to have easier access to each other and to connect based on shared interests. In the meantime:
• Join the Mijente Members FB Group and our quarterly membership calls to connect with other members!
• Reach out to email@example.com and ask for a list of Mijente members who live in your local area or share your interests.
7. How do I find, join or start a local circle or national crew?
A great way to start is by finding and/or recruiting other Mijente members in your community. We’re looking for the people who are looking for us. Share about Mijente with other Latinxs/Chicanxs in your area, host a local meetup to learn about each other’s interests and recruit them as members. Then see if there’s shared work at least 3 of you want to build out together through a local circle.
Read more under the local circles section of La Casita page to register your local circle and email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. The password is in your welcome email you received after signing-up as a member.
Visit La Casita page for the contact directory of existing national crews. A directory of existing local circles is coming soon.
8. How do I know whether my project/interest aligns with Mijente’s values i.e. what are systems of accountability?
9. Can I use the Mijente brand for xyz?
• Individual members who aren’t part of a national crew, local circle or asamblea cannot use the Mijente brand or logo for individual purposes.
• Local asambleas and national crews may only use the Mijente logo and brand for purposes related to the work of the specific crew and in alignment with Mijente’s mission, principles, and relevant legal guidelines.
11. How can I invite other Latinx/Chicanx people to join Mijente?
Ask if they’ve heard about Mijente and share why you signed up as a member. Send them your recruiter link that’s in your welcome email or the general membership link: members.mijente.net and remember to follow up!
You can also host a general meetup for Latinx/Chicanx people in your community. This could be a potluck at your home, a carne asada at the park, or a meetup at a local cafe or restaurant. If you want support organizing a meetup or can’t find your recruiter link, email email@example.com
12. I have a question or request about my membership dues. What should I do?
To change from monthly to annual dues, get a refund for an incorrect payment regarding your dues, cancel or deactivate your membership, or any other concern regarding membership dues or payment processing, email firstname.lastname@example.org with Subject line: “Member Dues.” Include your request, name, and email you used to sign up for your membership.
13. How do I renew my annual membership?
Sign up at members.mijente.net and select “renewing member” in the drop-down field.
14. Do you have to be a formal member to relate to Mijente?
No. Many of our events are open and you can always follow what we’re up to on social media @conmijente IG, FB, TW.