“Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation, and that is an act of political warfare.” – Audre Lorde
Lánzate 2018 is almost here and we’re so entusiasmadx to learn, connect and build together in San Antonio. Large gatherings can sometimes feel intense so we put together this Cudiate Checklist with the help of this article to help care for your energía throughout the weekend:
- Drink plenty of water. Hydrate mi gente! Carry a water bottle with you throughout the weekend. If you have or can get one, make it a reusable water bottle 🙂
- Re-charge a tu manera. Short walks alone, meeting new people over lunch, calling a close friend for 5 minutes– whether you crave alone time or the energy of others, do what you need to care for your energy.
- Stay alert with balanced meals & snacks. Breakfast and lunches are covered for you during Lánzate. Consider carrying granola, nuts, and dried fruit with you throughout the weekend.
- Streeeeetch. In your seat, standing, during workshops, at panels– get your stretch on wherever and whenever. You can also lead a group stretch during breaks or energizers, or request one!
- Take a look around. Feel like you need to get some sun? Or, if you’ve been outside, are you feeling overheated? Wherever you are, feel free to take 5 or if you have a suggestion to meet the collective’s needs, let your facilitator know.
- Get moving. If you’re looking to go on a gentle walk or run, check out the Apache Creek Trailway, a 10 minute walk from our Lánzate venue on Avenida Guadalupe.
- Most importantly, breathe. Focusing on your breath is a tried and true way of grounding yourself. Whenever necessary, take a moment to firmly set two feet on the ground, place your hands on your thighs, and count your breath until 4. If that’s easy for you, try going higher. If your mind starts wandering, try starting again (!)
In the everyday, taking care of yourself can look like handling your errands, getting a good night’s rest or cooking a delicious meal at home. But during weekends like these we have to adjust. Large convenings can sometimes lead to long nights, early mornings and intense learning about ourselves and others which can become emotionally and physically tiring.
That’s why we hope to take care of each other, in community, and lean on this short checklist to make sure you’re also taking good care of yourself in whatever ways are best for you during Lánzate and beyond.
Written by Alyshia Silva con la Bienvenida Crew